Saturday, August 8, 2009

Learning to pay attention to signs

What happens when you tempt fate? It's bound to throw you a m-fu-king curve.

Woke up early enough, 7:30. checked emails, no messages or replies, so I got dressed. Had only slept a couple of hours as I've been having trouble sleeping.

By 8 am I was scrambling looking for a shirt that T brought up the other day that I decided I wanted to wear today. Well, that just about did it. I went through every inch of my room and nothing. Went through piles of clothing, drawers, cabinets, closet. Nothing. Where the hell could this little black shirt be? Now I have tons of black clothing, so I figured it was tied up into something. I had just done the laundry so it wasn't in there. T mutters half asleep that I was seen putting it away in a drawer.

Of course, I know immediately this is bull but diligently look through whatever drawers I could've possibly put it into. Still nothing. I notice I'm falling behind schedule and throw on whatever I find which is wrinkled and makes me look like someone's mom. Meanwhile, T is up and looking in the same spots I just looked in. Now because I'm notorious for looking but never finding anything, T goes over the same areas. I feel bad for waking T.

We keep looking. Nothing comes up. Now I'm really late. I check my handbag for my camera, fresh batteries, and of course, sunscreen. I grab my keys and try not to look at the mess on the top of my head called my hair lately and tried to smooth down unsuccessfully with some hairspray and a rubberband to pull it into a very short poni-tail.

I know I don't look good but twenty minutes have gone by and I'm still not out the door. I had woken up early specifically to avoid having to rush. Before I trudge down the subway steps I go into the bodega to pick up a bottled water. Turns out I have no cash, I'm checking every pocket. Shit. I thought I had put the money in my pocket. I re-check my pockets after putting the water back. Still nothing.

I trudge back home, texting C that I'm still stuck at home. I figured I would be delayed, whatever, and C would understand and we would meet up later.

Instead, when I got home, I checked and found the money was not in the place I had last seen it. I checked my pockets and voila there it was. Now I KNOW something's up. It's a sign. I need to stay put or just not go to this gathering. So I looked at my phone and noticed the text message was still 'sending' and was delaying in sending the message. How odd. The weather is clear today and I'm not underground, why would my phone be delaying sending a simple text?

So I tried again. Same thing. I turned on my computer and sent C two messages, one direct text via email to C's phone and again another one through through another email account that I knew dinged C's phone.

Don't know if C received the messages in time, but I know that things happen for a reason. I'm not going to question it.

Meanwhile, I started gathering clothes I'm no longer wearing (or no longer fit) and taking them to Goodwill. I can't take the mess anymore. I still haven't found the stupid shirt, but this inspired me after going through a ton of clothes that no longer fit or are trendy. It's time to say goodbye to them and start clearing up my place. I also have to remember to run some errands today and not let this day go to waste.

So much for planning. Well, if you can't make one plan, make another, right? Sigh.

No comments: